To help improve your search engine optimization (SEO) strategies, we’ve discussed blogging, local SEO, and ensuring your website is mobile-friendly. One factor we rarely discuss is your URL structure. Can your website’s URL really have a positive or negative impact on your SEO? Yes, it can. Fortunately, there are a few very simple steps you can take to help ensure that your URL is simple, easy to read, and more likely to have a positive impact on search engine optimization.
How to Structure Your URL
- Make It Readable: Google recommends making your URL readable. For instance, instead of a mile of random numbers and letters, change it to the page title or a relevant keyword. This makes it easier to share and easier for Google’s bots to crawl and index.
- Use Hyphens Between Words: Once you’ve made sure your URL is something easy to read, go a step further and add hyphens between the words. This helps make it even more readable. Once again, use hyphens, not underscores.
- Good: www.myfakewebsite.com/teeth-whitening
- Not so good: www.myfakewebsite.com/teethwhitening
- Keep It Short: Regardless of whether you use a page title or a combination of the subject and keywords, keep it short. If your new URL ends up being super long, then you run into readability problems again.
- Good: www.myfakewebsite.com/teeth-whitening-Dallas
- Not so good: www.myfakewebsite.com/our-professional-teeth-whitening-options-in-Dallas
- Use Lowercase Letters: Keep all letters lowercase. In addition, remember to keep them identical, as sometimes a version with all lowercase letters and another with a mix of upper and lowercase will be read as separate webpages.
- Front-Load Keywords: If you’re including keywords, don’t stuff them (over-use them), and for maximum SEO benefit, put them at the front of the URL address.
We’re Here to Help
If you have questions about what domain to use for your website or how to better structure your URL, give us a call. At MDPM Consulting, we’re always here to help.
Need a new and better website, or want to learn how you can become a noticeable online presence? Do you have questions about online marketing strategies or SEO? We can help! Send MDPM an email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or give us a call at 972-781-8861. Talk to our team today!