What may seem like the simplest step in starting your own practice can often be the most crucial. What are you going to name your business? Remember, your name should help your company stand out and immediately appeal to potential patients. How do you name a dental practice? What should you take into consideration when choosing your practice and domain name?
Choosing Your Name
There are several different factors to keep in mind when choosing a name, including:
- Originality: Do a quick Google search. If you see the name you’ve chosen come up, possibly multiple times, then consider a new one. After all, you want to stand out and you definitely don’t want to be confused with another business.
- Location: Since location is a key to SEO (people often search for services near their city) consider adding your city to the name of your practice and/or website domain.
- Length: Keep your name short and simple. If you feel the name needs to encompass multiple things (for example: Fort Worth Implant and Cosmetic Dentistry) then we recommend using acronyms (FWICD, for example).
- Market: Who are you targeting? If you are catering to younger patients or entire families, then consider including “children,” “pediatric,” or “family” in the name. With the right name, you can let potential clients know what you offer right away.
Practice Name vs. Domain Name
Your practice name and domain name will be the same, right? Well, in many cases this is the best option. However, sometimes you may benefit from different names for your business and your domain. For example, your practice name should let people know what kind of professional you are and what services you offer (Johnson Implant Dentistry or Plano Cosmetic Dental Center).
Your domain name should distinguish your business from other similar ones and needs to be tied to your location for SEO. If you don’t have your location in the practice name, then consider doing so for your domain. For example, Johnson Implant Dentistry may benefit from having carrolltonimplantdentistry.com as the domain.
Branding Your Office
Once you’ve chosen your name, talk to us about branding. We have professionals ready to help you through every step of the branding process, including:
- Choosing names
- Domain and website design/creation
- Social media
We have the experience and knowledge to help you debut your new practice and grow as a company.
Building a new dental practice or taking over an existing practice is hard work. There are many steps to take and things to consider, especially when it comes to branding. The experts at MDPM Consulting are here to help you every step of the way. Give us a call at (972) 781-8861 or shoot us an email at Jill@mdpmconsulting.com.