Since 2004, Google has had maps (Google Maps listings) on their search engine results pages (SERPs). In 2005, the service was beefed up and called Google Local. In 2010, the service received more beef and today, supposedly, companies with “the best” Google Places rankings are those that have a strong web presence, a completed profile, and solid organic SEO rankings.
What is a Google Places Listing?
Map listings are indicated with a red bubble or balloon, which is supposed to represent a map pin. Any business with a phone number can complete a free business listing with Google Places. At MDPM, we create and complete this listing for all of our clients, then include the link from the clients’ blogs and websites.
How to Rank Higher on Google Places
There is no surefire way to rank high on Google Places, and it’s still a free service. Google tells us, listings are “automated and impartial.” You cannot pay for better Google Places ranking. The only way to improve your ranking is to have widespread local influence on the Internet. This means, you have to guess what the Google algorithm for Google Places might like to see.
We do know, according to Google:
- “Google Maps ranks business listings based on their relevance to the search terms entered [by the web searcher], along with geographic distance 9where indicated) and other factors.”
- “Having a correct, comprehensive, and up-to-date listing is the most effective way to ensure the best possible ranking.”
These things also help…
- Positive reviews on Google Places
- Correct, consistent address, phone, etc. on local listing services
- Select categories offered up by Google, not keyword stuffed categories
You might also…
- Create a Yahoo local profile
- Create a Bing local profile
- Optimize your website
- Refrain from black hat tactics!!!
- Use social media
- Join local organizations to get backlinks from their websites
- Link swap with other local business websites and blogs
- Create listings on local directories
- -Yellow Book
- -Merchant Circle
- -Dex Knows
- -Magic Yellow Pages
- -Judy’s Book
- -City Search
- -Insider Pages
- -Search for your city and “directory” to find more.
Don’t Have Time?
MDPM is in the beta testing phase of adding a new product, local directory optimization, for our clients. If you are not ranking high on Google Places, we will execute a strategy that includes the aforementioned objectives and a few blog-related tactics in an effort to improve your Google Places listing.
If you have questions about Internet marketing, blogging, websites, or website optimization for dentists, call Jill at 972-781-8861 today or email us for a free analysis of your overall Internet presence.