Note: Make sure you have a business page in addition to your “human” page.
First of all, consider your target market – your current patients. Do they use Facebook regularly? Orthodontists can create a very successful Facebook marketing campaign because kids use Facebook. One of our orthodontist clients recently commented that a t-shirt promotion through Facebook worked very well. While adults use Facebook, most don’t hang out and chat it up as much as younger people do. It’s my opinion, in this moment, that Facebook promotions for dentists work best for an audience 25 years and younger. That’s not a hard, fast rule; it’s an observation.
Second, Facebook is in a constant state of change. From one day to the next, you can’t know for sure where your posts will show up, whether the pictures will show with links you post, or if some new feature has been launched. It’s simply hard to keep up – even for kids and college students. This can be frustrating, and you absolutely do NOT want Facebook frustration to be associated with your brand.
Now, with that out of the way, here are a few tips for getting fans:
1) Make a quicklink on your website and blog for easy access. Facebook offers a number of applications for this. Your web programmer should be able to add a widget to your site without any problem.
2) Send out an email blast or e-newsletter inviting current patients to become your Facebook fan.
3) All of your employees should have your Facebook link in their email signatures – and you should, too!
4) Post a QR code on your office wall – in operatories, bathrooms, lobby, and at checkout. Link the QR code to your Facebook fan page.
5) GET INVOLVED: If you and your team do not get engaged with Facebook by posting pictures, videos, and updates, no one will be interested in checking you out.
Should you invest time and staff training into getting Facebook fans? Only if you’re completely on board. Your team probably won’t be enthusiastic about a Facebook campaign unless you (or a leader on your team) offers guidance, encouragement, and leads by example.
Will it hurt my practice if I don’t actively participate on my Facebook fan page? No. You should definitely have a Facebook fan page for your dental office. It’s a free way to have more online presence.
Is Facebook a profitable investment of my time and energy? Only if you work at it. I believe, and have seen proven, that a well optimized blog with daily posts can be more lucrative than investing time in Facebook.
Do I need a custom Facebook page? They sure look pretty! But, again, if you aren’t engaged, don’t waste the money. However, if you are engaged with Facebook or plan to make it a priority in your marketing, carrying your brand over to your Facebook fan page is important.
What should I do to market my dental practice online? At Modern Dental Practice Marketing, we create custom Internet marketing plans for dentists. Depending upon your target market, current clients, practice location, services, and goals, we will recommend the best strategy for 1) getting new patients, 2) communicating with current patients, 3) and maximizing your marketing budget. Call Jill today at 972-781-8861 for a free Internet marketing analysis on your dental practice.